Motor Vehicle FAQs


"I need to renew the tags on my vehicle. What do I need to bring with me?"
You will need to bring the previous year’s registration (or a copy of the original) and your Kentucky Proof of Insurance.
"What if I don't have my registration?"
A copy of your registration can be printed for you at the cost of $3.00, per registration
"The last time I renewed my tags, I wasn't asked for proof of insurance. Why?"

Until your plate number is entered into our system, it is unclear whether or not a copy of your insurance will be required. Should the system prompt for proof of insurance, at that time, you will need to provide an INSURANCE CARD with the following information:

  • VIN number
  • NAIC number
  • An effective date within the last 45 days
"I received my renewal notice and it state 'SEE CLERK/SEE PVA', what does that mean?

‘See Clerk’ usually means that the registration is expired/cancelled.  You must come to our office to renew.


‘See PVA’ means that the Property Valuation Office needs more infomation to properly assess the vehicle, trailer, motor home, etc.  You must call Scott County PVA, Tim Jenkins’ office at 502-863-7885 BEFORE you can come in to renew.

"What options do I have to renew my vehicle?"
Your vehicle can be renewed in office, online, by phone, or by mail. “Can someone else renew my vehicle for me?” Yes, as long as they have one or more of the following:

  • Paper copy of insurance on vehicle(s)
  • Registration or registration copy
  • Plate number
  • VIN number

Vehicle Registration & Renewal

"How can I obtain a handicap placard?"

You will need to complete the   Application for Disabled Persons Special Parking Permit (TC 96-347), and have it signed by a doctor. The signature of the intended user is also required, and will need to be notarized. (see example)  If you are unable to physically make it into the office, call into the motor vehicle department and if possible, we will send a deputy clerk out to notarize your signature for the process,

"How long will the placard be active?"

Once a doctor’s signature has been obtained, the placard will not expire for 6 years.  After six years have passed, another doctor’s signature is required. Can someone pick up a placard if it is not for them?” Yes, only if the application is signed and the applicant’s signature has been notarized, or Power of Attorney will suffice as long as a copy is provided with the application. If the applicant is unable to come inside the office, a clerk can go out to the vehicle to notarize the signature. I have a disabled parking plate. Can I have a placard as well?” Yes, one placard may be issued with a handicap plate. 

"I received a letter in the mail stating that my vehicle does not have insurance. What do I do?

You will need to bring the notice you received in the mail, along with a copy of insurance reflecting the VIN of the vehicle in question.  The effective date on the policy must be within 45 days of when it is presented to the clerk.

Selling Your Vehicle

"I am selling my car. What do I need to do?"
You must sign the back of the title for the vehicle: left-hand side, top, and bottom in the designated areas for Transferor. Your signature must also be notarized. The odometer reading and sell price must be recorded as well. What if I’ve lost my title? What should I do?” Apply for a duplicate title. This can be done in-office or by mail by filling out a Vehicle Transfer Form (TC96-182), with your signature notarized. The cost of a duplicate title is $6.00. How long will it take to receive a duplicate title?” You will receive the duplicate title in 4-5 business days.
"I have signed the title of my vehicle over to the buyer, but the vehicle is still registered in my name. What should I do?" "

Although you signed the title over to the new owner, the vehicle will still be registered to you until the buyer completes the transfer at his/her County Clerk’s Office. However, the buyer has up to 15 days to transfer the vehicle to their name.

***NOTE***  To safeguard yourself, we advise taking a photo or making a copy of the front and back of the completed/signed and notarized title before giving it to the buyer.  You can potentially use this as proof if an incomplete transfer is required.

After the 15 days have passed, contact the County Clerk’s Office to check the status of the transfer. If the vehicle is still in your name, you will need to visit your County Clerk’s office to file an Incomplete Transfer. To be sure the transfer is completed, it is always best to accompany the buyer to the County Clerk’s Office and witness the transfer. ***PLEASE USE ONLY BLACK INK WHEN WRITING/SIGNING AREAS ON THE BACK OF A TITLE.

"Transferring an Out-Of-State Vehicle"
If I decide to go out of state and buy a vehicle, what do I need to register this vehicle in Kentucky?” To register the vehicle in Kentucky, the title must be signed by the seller(s), and their signature(s) notarized. If you are buying from a Notary State, you will also need to take a VTR (TC96-182) and have it signed by the seller(s) and notarized as well.
"Can I apply for a temporary tag to transport my Out-of-State vehicle into Kentucky?"
Our County Clerk’s Office does not issue temporary tags to transport vehicles to or from other states. You will need to make prior arrangements with the seller to use their plate, or haul the vehicle. You may also contact the State DMV where the vehicle is being purchased and inquire about a Transit Tag.
"Will I need to have the vehicle inspected once I return to Kentucky?"
Yes. You will take the title, a VTR (TC96-182), and the vehicle to the Sheriff’s Office to complete the inspection. Please visit the County Clerk’s Office if you need assistance with the VTR.
"What will the inspection consist of?"
During the inspection, the VIN number and mileage will be compared to what is listed on the title and recorded on the VTR. A $5.00 fee will be collected.
"Will I need proof of insurance to transfer my vehicle?"
Yes, a paper copy of your Kentucky Proof of Insurance will be required upon transfer.
"Once I have my completed title, inspection, and my Kentucky Proof of Insurance, what is my next step?"
Bring all of the above listed to your County Clerk’s Office, along with a photo ID. If all documents are completed properly, the vehicle can then be titled and tagged in your name.
"Once the transfer is complete, when will I receive my title?"

You will receive your title in 4-6 weeks. A speed title can be ordered for an additional fee of $25.00 should you need the title sooner than the 4-6 weeks. A speed title will arrive in 1-2 weeks.

"I sold my vehicle to someone who lives in another state, what do I need to do?"

Fill out a TC96-167 (Affidavit for Replacement of Non-Exchange) and indicate which state the vehicle was sold to.  Any taxes due must be paid before vehicle can be marked as sold.  You will also need to fill out 62A044 for PVA, so that you are not taxed on this vehicle in the future.

"I purchased a vehicle and I've already sold it What do I do?"

The title must first go into the original purchaser’s name (your’s) as we cannot ‘skip’ a buyer.

You will need to present the title and insurance in the your name to the clerk, or the title and the plate if you are not going to insure the vehicle.

You can apply for a speed title for an additional $25 and the title will be received in the mail in approximately 2 weeks OR opt for a standard title which takes 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Once you have received a title in your name, you may then transfer the vehicle to the new buyer.

Transferring to Kentucky Residence

"I have moved to Kentucky from another state. What do I need in order to register my vehicle(s)?"

To register your vehicle(s) in Kentucky, you will need the title(s) from the previous state, a paper copy of your Kentucky Proof of Insurance, a Vehicle Transfer Form (TC96-182), and an inspection from the Sheriff’s Office.  If you are moving in from a “title holding” state, meaning, you do not have your title in hand because your loan has not been paid in full, we will request the title from your lender.  Kentucky is NOT a title holding state.  Once your vehicle is registered with us, you will receive a KY title with a lien held by your lender reflected on it.  This prohibits you from transferring the vehicle until the lien is satisfied.

"I recently resided in a Title Holding state and my lien holder has my title(s). What should I do?"

If you are moving in from a “title holding” state, meaning, you do not have your title in hand because your loan has not been paid in full, we will request the title from your lender.  Kentucky is NOT a title holding state.  Once your vehicle is registered with us, you will receive a KY title with a lien held by your lender reflected on it.  This prohibits you from transferring the vehicle until the lien is satisfied.

The following information will be obtained from you at the Clerk’s Office in order to request your title from the lien holder:

  • Name of lien holder
  • Fax number of lien holder
  • The account number
  • Year, make, model and VIN number of the vehicle

How will I know when the requested title has arrived at the Clerk’s Office? 

Once the title has been requested from the lien holder, check back within 2 weeks to see if it has been received.

"What kind of taxes should I expect to be assessed upon my first-time registration in Kentucky?"

Kentucky assesses a 6% sales (USAGE) tax on personal property.
If you have paid less than 6% in your former state of residence, you will be given credit for the percentage paid, and charged for the difference, up to 6%.
If you have paid 6% or more in your former state of residence, no additional sales (USAGE) tax will be assessed.

"What can I do while waiting for my title to be delivered?"

If your tags are expired at the time of request, or the tags have expired before the title has been delivered to the Clerk’s Office, you may be issued one temporary tag, per vehicle, as long as the vehicle is covered under Kentucky Insurance. 

"What steps do I need to take to obtain a personalized plate?"

Beginning July 17, 2017, all requests for personalized license plates must be submitted to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation, Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing through the website.  Note:  Any property tax due must be paid upon transfer of plate.

  • On the Drive.KY.Gov website, please click the Vehicle Services drop-down menu at the top of the home page, and then click on the License Plate link
  • You will be guided through an online search to ensure the desired plate is available
  • If the desired plate is available, you will then complete an online request form.  The fee for this application is $25 which is applied to the total cost of the plate.
  • Every request will be reviewed by a Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing committee to ensure full compliance with state law
  • You will be notified of the Committee’s decision by mail or e-mail within 30 days
    • Approved requests will receive a pre-approval form that should be brought to our office for submission with the official application form
      • We will then notify you when your new license plate is ready for pick-up (*Previous plate must be surrendered at time of exchange*)
    • Denied requests will receive notification by mail or e-mail, including explanation of the appeals process


"What paperwork do I need to transfer a boat?"

You will need to provide a completed Boat Transaction Record (BTR) along with the title signed and notarized in all the required areas.


"I bought a boat out of state, but that state does not require a title. What do I do?"

Although a title was not provided, a registration card is required in order to transfer the boat.  If there is not a place for the seller to sign the registration card, then a notarized Bill of Sale will be required, OR, a notarized and completed BTR.

"How can I apply for a HIN number for my boat?"

Homemade boats or boats with invalid HINS per the U.S. Coast Guard, are the only type of boats that can apply for a HIN and this process must be completed in-office.

Skip to content