Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners’ birth month (including personalized and specialty plates).
1. Renewing Your Registration In-Person
Please visit the Scott County Clerk’s Office to renew your vehicle registration in person. When renewing your registration at the Clerk’s office be sure to bring:
- Photo ID
- Kentucky certificate of registration
- Proof of Kentucky insurance stating an effective date within 45 days of the day it is presented to the Clerk
- Money for fees and applicable taxes
2. Renewing Your Registration Online
- A list of eligible plates is available online
- Vehicles registered in separate counties to the current owner must be renewed individually.
- Leased vehicles cannot be renewed online.
- The vehicle(s) renewed must have unexpired registration(s).
- The owner of the vehicle(s) cannot have overdue property taxes on any other vehicles they own.
- The vehicle(s) must be insured for at least 45 days with the same insurance company for database verification.
Please allow 3 – 5 business days for online renewals to be processed.
A $2.00 fee per vehicle will be added to cover mailing costs.
3. Renew by Mail
Send registration certificate and current KY insurance card along with applicable fees (reflected on the renewal reminder you received in the mail) made payable to:
Scott County Clerk
101 E Main St
Georgetown, KY 40324
Please follow the steps below to ensure your renewal:
- Property taxes must not be delinquent on any vehicle.
- Proof of Insurance must be a current KY Insurance card
- Provide a correct address (make a notation on the old registration as to the current address if it is not the same)
- Provide a phone number
- Registration must be current and not expired.
Motor Boat Renewals
All motorboat registrations and transfers are handled by the County Clerk. Kentucky law requires all boats having motors to be registered if operated on public waters. To register a boat you must have your registration certificate.
Boat renewals may be processed in the same manner as a motor vehicle, but must be done either in person or by mail. Currently, there is no online renewal option for boats.
Tolling Made Easy
RiverLink is the tolling system for the Louisville-Southern Indiana Ohio River Bridges Project. Tolling is in place on the Abraham Lincoln Bridge (I-65 North), the John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge (I-65 South) and the Lewis and Clark Bridge (SR 265/KY 841) connecting Prospect, KY and Utica, IN.
Pop up Information
Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, cashier check, and personal checks. We accept Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.
Please be advised that the use of a debit or credit card will incur a vendors' fee of 2.75% of the total amount of the transaction.