A Title is a legal document, establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle or vessel. When a vehicle or vessel is sold from one citizen or business to another in Kentucky, the title must be transferred to the new owner within 15 days.
For additional information on Vehicle Eligibility, Application Types, Transferring Ownership, Repossessions, Updating Information, Corrections, etc please visit drive.ky.gov
If you have any questions regarding the information below, you may call or contact us through this online form
What you’ll need
Download and complete the following on the Application for Title/Registration (TC96-182)
- Type of application desired
- Vehicle Identification Section
- Odometer Disclosure
- Owner/Buyer Section, including current owner’s name, SSN, and address
- Check the appropriate boxes for the lien information
- Signature and Notary
Fees associated with a Lost Title
$6.00 – Notarized application
How to obtain a duplicate title
If the original Motor Vehicle or Boat Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated you may apply for a duplicate title. The duplicate title will void any title previously issued in the state of Kentucky.
- Complete a Motor Vehicle Application of Title TC96-182 or Motor Boat Transaction Record TC96-184 (also available in our office)
- On the application you must complete the Vehicle/Boat Information Section and Owner/Buyer information. Signature must be notarized.
- Mail the completed Motor Vehicle Application or Motor Boat Transaction Record along with $6.00 for each duplicate title requested to the Scott County Clerk’s Office
- The current owner(s) of the vehicle must apply for duplicate title.
- If owner is deceased, Probate or Trust papers along with a death certificate must be provided to the Clerk’s Office at time of application. The petitioner, executor, or trustee must be the person applying for duplicate
- If application is being signed by a Power-of-Attorney, provide a notarized copy of the POA
If the application is being applied for in person in the Scott County Clerk’s Office, the owner, or person signing for the owner, must appear with a valid picture I.D.
Fees associated with a Duplicate Title
$2.00 – Notary fee is charged for each signature.
$6.00 – For each duplicate title requested
Junking a Kentucky Title
What you’ll need
- Original Kentucky Title – On the face of the title the owner must write “JUNKED”, sign and date.
- License plate
- Payment of any existing property taxes
- Affadavit of junk must be signed
This process prevents future property tax assessments for this vehicle.
Fees associated with Junking a Kentucky Title
$2.00 – AFF
$2.00 – Notary fee
To process ALL Title work by mail, send to:
Scott County Clerk
Attn: Motor Vehicles Dept
101 E Main St #109
Georgetown, KY 40324
Scott County Clerk
Pop up Information
Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, cashier check, and personal checks. We accept Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.
Please be advised that the use of a debit or credit card will incur a vendors' fee of 3% of the total amount of the transaction.
Learn More (Pop-ups)
We have had several instances where individuals have taken the lien release statement from the web, and had liens released fraudulently.
Again, we hope limiting access by those who do not need it will reduce fraud.
If you’d like a copy please come to our office during normal business hours.
Have questions, please call (502) 863-7875